In our film Pretty Dead Regina is diagnosed as a Schizophrenic suffering from Cotard’s Syndrome by Dr. Romero, and while Cortard’s is an extremely rare disorder you are unlikely to ever encounter, Schizophrenia is not. Almost 3 percent of the population is thought to suffer from the disease, and yet it remains misunderstood by the general population and more often than not mis-portrayed in film and television. Below is more information on what Schizophrenia actually is, how it is treated and how you may be able to help if somebody you know is a victim of this disease.
- National Institute of Health – “What is Schizophrenia?”
- schizophrenia.com – Worldwide schizophrenia resources
- Family Caregiver Alliance – resources for families and caregivers of those with mental illness
- healthyminds.org – American Psychiatric Association
- nami.org – National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Mental Health America – the oldest and largest non-profit organization for mental health and mental illness